Friday, January 18, 2013

Winter reading (short review)

The First Law Trilogy Boxed Set: The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie

There's already so much praise for the trilogy here and still I can't help adding a few more words to it. The story is gripping, the characters are memorable. I was amazed at the author's meticulous character development as he introduced their story lines in all three books weaving their lives into one vast canvass... A breathtaking story! Mr. Abercrombie, I admire your talent. Some reviewers pointed out that some of the characters and events had been done before, but that's what life is about, isn't it - it's about "been there, done it", and the more exciting adventures we live, the better! Admittedly, this isn't the kind of book recommended for the tame of spirit.

I wished I could enjoy the third book as much as I had the first two - probably, it had something to do with the fact that the game was already in full swing, winding its way into denouement. And still, I felt I was one with the characters and I was dying to find out Logen Ninefingers' backstory. So reading the third book - relishing it - literally brought me back to my teenage days when I used to devour novels by Robert Stillmark and Raphael Sabatini.

No comments:

Post a Comment